Chickpea Avacardo Salad

I have tasted Avacardo salad few times in Subway. Though am not a great fan of this, everytime when I see this in SuperMarket, I used to think that I have to try some dish with this. But never get a chance except trying Milkshake. That too not a great taste indeed :(. But last week, being long weekend, it happens to have dinner in an Italian Restaurant. There we ordered Guacamole (avacardo) dip with Nachos. I never expect Avacardo will taste heavenly delicious and my betterhalf loved it (though he is not great fan of western foods). We try to replicate the same dish at home (though I did some variations from the original recipe) for our evening snack. It came out well and I would like to post this recipe for everyone. I have used canned chickpeas & seedless cucumber with addition of chat masala to make it Indianised version. Try this recipe and I am pretty sure you will love it. Lets check the recipe.



Ingredients :

Ripe Avacardo - 1
Cumin seed powder - 1 tbsp
Sugar - 1/4 tsp
Black pepper powder - 1/2 tbsp
Tomato - 1/4 cup (Finely chopped)
Onion -1/4 cup (Finely chopped)
Green chilli - 1 (Finely chopped)
Chickpeas - 1/4 cup (I used canned chickpeas)
Seedless cucumber - 1/4 cup
Parsley - 2 tbsp (Finely chopped)
Lemon - 1
Chat masala - 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste

Method :

Always choose ripe avacardo for salads. Ripe avacardos are the one which has black spotted skin.
Cut the avacardo into two. Remove the big seed inside and scoop out the pulp. Gently mash the pulp using fork.

In a wide bowl, add onion, tomato, green chilli,parsley and chickpeas. (If you are using fresh chickpeas, pressure cook it for 2 whistles till it become soft. Since I used canned ones, I just need to wash and drain the water to use it). Mix it well, followed by adding chopped cucumber and mashed Guacamole (Avacardo). Now add pepper powder, Jeera powder, 1/4 tsp of sugar and salt. Mix everything so that the spices add more flavour to cucumber & avacardo. Finally add chat masala (Chat masala adds Indianised flavour to the salad) & squeeze lemon juice. Lemon juice helps to maintain the green colour of Avacardo and gives tangy taste to the salad. Adjust the salt (If necessary) to taste. Serve immediately or you can refridgerate and serve it with Nachos or tortilla chips. Actually we had it as spread on wheat bread !!

Enjoy healthy salad !!








Comments

Popular Posts