Safforn Flavoured Apple Halwa

Back to blogging indeed after a very long time. So it is a time to celebrate the moment. Thats y thinking to re-invent my cooking blog with highly flavourful, healthy sweet.

                            AN APPLE A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY. 

I think all have already guessed about the post. Yes Its a recipe from Apple, that too special dedication to my beloved friend.

Yeah, Its "Apple Halwa". I am not strong lover of fruits especially to Apple. My hubby loves Apple pies or muffins, but I can seldom make it. This recipe is suggested by my friend few months back just as easy breezy sweet. I do have a bunch of apples sitting in my fridge for more than a week. Instead of making usual pies / muffins, thought to do this Halwa to impress my Hun and to my Kiddo. The recipe came out so well with the nuts toppings and Ghee flavour. This taste almost like Ashoka Halwa, which is prepared using Moong Dhal.

The original recipe need to use Orange red food colour. As I am totally against of any artificial colours, I replace it with Safforn to make it more healthy & satisfying flavour.

Try this at home and let me know your comments.




Ingredients :

Red Apple - 3
Sugar - 1 cup
Salt - small pinch
Ghee - 5 tbsp
Elachi powder - 1 tsp
Cashews - 4-5
Almonds - 2 tsp (Finely chopped)
Saffron - 1 pinch

 Method :

 Wash and Peel the apple skin. Chop it to small cubes. Add few drops of Lemon juice to avoid decolouring due to oxidation. You can also soak the cubed apples in water to avoid discolouration.

Put the cubed apples in the mixer and grind it to smooth puree. Keep it aside. Soak few stands of Saffron in hot water for about 5-10 minutes. We will be using saffron to replace the edible food colour.

Now take a pan, add 1 tsp of Ghee, add broken cashews and almonds. Fry till it become golden brown. Set this aside.  In the same pan, add 1 tsp of Ghee and add the ground apple puree. Keep stirring until the water in apple get absorbed. Start adding sugar, Pinch of salt, 1/2 tsp of Elachi powder and keep stirring. It is highly essential to keep stirring after adding sugar to apple puree, as sugar tends to dilute the puree.  This is to prevent halwa from getting burnt. Now add the safforn colour & stir until it leaves the sides of Kadai. Finally add pinch of Elachi powder & top up with roasted nuts. 

Mix everything and transfer to serving bowl. Safforn flavoured Apple halwa is ready to serve.

If you are not health cautious, you can use Orange-Red Food colour, just to get halwa more attractive colour.


 

Comments

Popular Posts