Rava Idly

For this new year, I starting my post with my favourite easy recipe. Rava Idly. It is also called as Semolina Idly. Unlike rice idly, this recipe doesnot need long hours soaking, grinding and fermenting. This is quick steaming recipe that can go very well with coconut chutney.  As well Rava (Semolina) is rich in proteins and Vitamin B. My mom used to prepare delicious Rava idlies at home. I tried this for my dinner, it tastes heavenly,soft & moist and I am tempted already to post this recipe in my blog. Here I used Eno Fruit salt. I have seen some people uses baking soda. I tried with both and you can use whichever convenient for you. Lets go to the recipe.




Ingredients :

Rava - 1 cup
Curd - 1/2 cup
Hing - 1/2 tsp
Cashews - 5/6 (Broken)
Eno plain salt or baking soda - 3/4 tsp
Curry leaves - 1 spring
Corriander leaves - 2 tbsp (Chopped)
Ginger - 1 tsp (Finely chopped)
Green chillis - 2 (Finely chopped)
Carrot - 3 tbsp (Finely grated)
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Channa dhal - 3/4 tsp
Urad dhal - 3/4 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1 pinch
Salt to taste
Oil - 2 tsp

Method :

In a pan, add oil followed by adding cashews. Fry till golden brown. Now splutter mustard seeds, urad dhal and channa dhal. Add ginger, green chillis, grated carrots, Hing and curry leaves.

Now add sooji /rava and roast it for 2 mins. Dont let it burn and change the colour of rava. After 2 mins, switch off the flame and transfer the contents into a deep wide bowl. Allow it to cool. Now add 1/2 cup of curd, salt, corriander leaves and enough water. Mix it well. Add Eno fruit salt or Baking soda (Better to use fresh and you can see bubbles and frothy after adding). Mix it well without forming any lumps. It should be in Idly batter consistency. Let the batter rest for 5 mins at room temperature.

Now pour this batter to Idly mould and steam it for 7-10 mins as you do it for normal idlies. After 10 mins, remove steamed idlies by scooping them using spoon. Top up with 1/2 spoon of Ghee and serve hot, soft, moist Rava idly with any chutney of your choice. It go perfect with Corriander and coconut chutney. If not, eat this with pickle of your choice. Yummy !!





Comments

Popular Posts