Sambar Idly

Whenever I go to India, the first thing I like to do is visit Saravana Bhavan to eat my favorite Sambar Idly.  Yes am drooooooooling now.For me a better way to eat Idly is soak them completely in Sambar. I love to lick the Sambar bowl completely. Yummy taste it was !! Though I have HSB near my place, I don't feel like eating Sambar Idly as it was not in original taste. Thanks to my hubby who digged me the recipe to get original  Sambar taste.

Lets move on to the recipe


Ingredients :

Shallots - 3/4 cup
Tomato - 2-3
Brinjal -1
Toor dhal - 1/2 cup (cooked)
Hing - 1/4 tsp
Tamarind extract - 1/2 cup
Sambar powder - 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Dry Red chilli - 2
Jaggery- 1 tsp
Sesame oil - 2 tbsp
Curry leaves
Coriander leaves - 1/4 cup
Milk - 1/2 cup

Method :

Pressure cook the toor dhal ,chopped tomatoes and together with a pinch of turmeric powder. Mash the dhal using ladle and keep it aside.

In a pan, add 1 tbsp of sesame oil, saute the onions till it become golden brown.

Add chopped brinjal (you can add other veggies such as drumstick, but make sure that you don't add too much veggies) , Sambar powder, hing, coriander leaves and curry leaves. Add the tamarind extract to the mixture, let it boil till the raw smell of Sambar powder and veggies goes off.

Now add the cooked dhal-tomatoes & Jaggery  into the mixture and allow it to boil in a low flame for 3-5 minutes. Adjust the salt according to the taste. (Note that the Sambar shouldn't taste too spicy or tangy).
Once its cooked completely, add 1/2 up of milk in the end. Don't boil the Sambar to much after adding milk.
Check the consistency. It has to be slightly watery or not too thick.

Finally temper the Sambar with mustard seeds, red chills, hing and curry leaves.

Dizzle some sesame oil & ghee on the Idly, add the cooked Sambar, garnish with chopped onion. Serve hot !!


Comments

Popular Posts