Dhal tadka (Restaurant style)

Dhal Tadka is simple flavourful recipe that can go well with white rice  /Jeera rice or Roti. Whenever I go to my hometown, I never miss the chance of visiting Punjabi Dhaba. This time I say bit longer time in India, So atleast once in a week, I used to go Dhaba to eat.Everytime when I go I used to order Naan with any panner side dish. Whereas my mom used to stick with Ghee Jheera rice and Dhal tadka. as she dont like paneer recipes much. I am not much fond of dhal until I taste the recipe there. Yes it was perfect Yummy Dhal tadka that can go well with Jeera rice. After we back from Restaurant, myself and mom start exploring the secrets behind the dhal takda and we ended up with our own version. I tried this last week here in my place and would like to share the recipe here.



Ingredients :
Toor dhal -1/2 cup
Channa dhal - 1 tbsp (Optional)
Moong dhal - 1/4 cup
Jeera - 2 tbsp
Onion - 3 (Finely chopped)
Tomato - 1 big (Optional)
Garlic - 3 -5 cloves
Ginger - 1 tbsp (Finely chopped)
Green chillis - 2
Red chilli - 1 to 2
Lemon - 1
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Hing - 1/2 tsp
Corriander powder - 1/2 tbsp
Red chilli powder - 1/4 tsp
Garam Masala - 1/2 tbsp
Kasthuri Methi - 1/2 tsp
Ghee or clarified butter - 2 tbsp
Salt to taste

Method :
Wash all dhals and soak it separately for 20 mins. Drain the water and add turmeric powder & 1/2 tsp of Ghee. Pressure cook it for 4 whistles.(You can add ginger and pressure cook it as well. It will taste pretty different and wont come in mouth if you dont like GInger). After done, mash it with laddle head and keep it aside.

In a pan, add ghee, saute onions and tomato. Now add ginger, green chilli and crushed garlic. Always do these in medium flame to avoid burning. Now add  Hing, corriander powder, red chilli powder, Garam Masala and kasthuri Methi. Sprinkle 2 tbsp of water and let it cook till raw smell of masala goes off. Now add the mashed dhal and cook it for another 5-7 mins till you feel aroma around. Switch off the flame.

Temper it with 1/4 tsp of Jeera, red chilli and corriander powder. Squeeze 2-3 tbsp lemon juice before serving. Serve hot with Jeera rice or Roti.

Comments

Popular Posts