Onion rice


I am getting requests from my friends to post some recipes which can be cooked under 30 mins. Even if you cook under 30 mins, everyone wants the recipe to taste heavenly (atleast for me).Its good for people who want to try different tastes in jiffy. I am sure the recipes am going to post here will be useful for working women, bachelors and students studying aboard.

To start this interesting post, let me start with the most simple recipe. Yes its Onion Rice. I know Onion plays a big role in any dish. I would like to eat curd rice just with Shallots. Onions will give divine taste and it will beat all pickles. As well being a medical researcher, I would like to pin point some benefits of onion. Onion has flavonoids, which is best antioxidants and have immune enhancing properties. Its a good antibiotic (Especially for viral fever) and anti cancer power. So I suggest all my friends to have onion as a part of our cooking. Okie.. Medical informations apart !! Lets go to the recipe.. Yummy tummy filled Onion Rice !!!




Ingredients :

Shallots (Pearl onion) - 1/2 cup
Garlic - 2-3 pods
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Jeera (Cumin seeds) - 1 tsp
Green chilli - 1 - 2 (Depends on taste)
Curry leaves - 1 spring
Oil - 1 1/2 tsp
Ghee - 1/2 tsp
Cashew - 2 tbsp
Raisin - 2 tbsp
Cooked rice - 2 cup
Salt to taste

Method :

Soak the rice for 15 mins, cook it and keep it aside (You can use Basmathi rice as well, But I used normal ponni rice. I prefer to soak the rice before cooking.)

In a kadai, add oil. Splutter Mustard seeds, jeera and curry leaves. Add garlic and green chilli and saute it for a while. Now add shallots (Finely chopped) and a pinch of salt. Salt helps to cook onion fast. Saute it till the onion turns soft and slight brown. Dont leave it to over cook. Remove it from the flame and adjust the salt.

Now add the cooked rice to the kadai and mix it well. You can add some fried cashews & raisins on the top (Use ghee to fry the cashews). Squeeze lime after you mix all (But this is purely optional. Lime will give different flavour to the rice).

Serve hot with dhal or fryans. Yummy tummy filled quick recipe !!




Comments

Popular Posts