Poha (Avul) Kheer

Its friday here. I prepared Kheer for my pooja. My MIL used to cook this with Jaggery (Has rich in iron and healthy too) and this will give taste like traditional payasam. But my family dont want heavy dish. Poor me cannot control my taste buds, I prefer to have sweet every friday. I prepared this as Kheer with taste of Elachi together with lightly fried nuts. Lets go for this Yummy Kheer.


Ingredients :

Flattened rice (Poha /Avul) - 1/2 cup
Ghee - 1 tbsp
Milk - 2 cup
Sugar - 1/4 cup
Cardamom powder - 1 tsp
Cashews - 4 to 5 (Broken and lighly fried in Ghee)
Safforn -a pinch

Method :

In a pan, add ghee, roast cashews and keep it aside.  Rinse avul in water, drain it. Roast avul in the pan with a tsp of ghee. Roast it till avul changes the colour and become bit crisp.

In another pan, add milk (I used full cream milk), let it boil. Now pour the boiling milk into the roasted avul. Sim the stove and let it boil, till the volume get reduced to half. Now add sugar and allow it to boil further. (Always do it in low flame). Once poha get nicely blended with milk and sugar, switch off the flame. Finally add chopped fried cashews and cardamom powder.
Add strands of safforn to add more richness and flavour.

Serve hot or cold. It tastes heavenly delicious in both ways. Enjoy your dessert !!

Comments

Popular Posts